- Everyone writes during the workshop.
- We write in response to prompts provided by the workshop leader. If a prompt does not inspire or evoke writing, then write what feels right for you in the moment.
- You are invited to read your new work. You may choose not to read.
- We honor new writing by listening carefully and quietly.
- All writing is treated as fiction.
- We respond to writing by referring to the narrator, the speaker, the character, or the writer’s craft. We respond by saying what we liked, what stayed with us, what moved us. No suggestion, correction or question is directed toward the writer in response to first-draft, just written work.
- We focus on the content of the writing that is read. We avoid telling our own stories or speaking from our own experience.
- We pledge to respect the safety and sacredness of this writing space by keeping what is written and said in workshop private and confidential.
adapted from Amherst Writers and Artists